Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Eating the right Carbs

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

I have my own rules as far as my diet goes. I am not a "traditional vegetarian," because I am not doing it for any other reason, than to be healthier. Most vegetarians do it for animal rights, or to lose weight, etc. I've pretty much just stuck with eating a vegetarian diet without bread, pasta, rice, or sugar (and VERY rarely having a piece of poultry/fish), and I feel great!! While I will say this, it is really hard sometimes, to figure out what to eat.

One of my favorite things to eat is apples dipped in peanut butter. I remember eating this as a kid. It's really good! I feel so good after eating it too. It's weird, but I really do. I love peanut butter! It is a great source of protein and healthy fat. Due to the fact I can't eat bread, peanut butter and jelly is not an option anymore, so the solution I came up with was apples and peanut butter, or celery and peanut butter.

One of the many things I have noticed, in the short time of being on this diet is: I can concentrate better, my mood is much better, and I feel really good! When I first became a vegetarian I felt good, but I didn't know it was because I was eating less of the refined sugar, pasta and bread too. I wasn't consciously paying attention to that. However,  when my diet did consisted of the refined carbs (I call it) my mood would change, drastically, a few hours later. Cutting out meat helped improve many of the digestive problems, I was experiencing (feeling bloated).
No chocolate chip cookies : (
I look back to even when I was in 6th grade. I would eat waffles (with Aunt J syrup) every morning, for breakfast. On the way to school I felt sick. My stomach hurt, I was anxious, irritable, my mind was all over the place.  My parents just thought it was because I was a teenager, and also the fact a morning person, would not describe me. Then there was the typical parent speculation, my stomach aches were just an excuse, to try to get out of going to school.

One day I told my mom, I was done eating waffles for breakfast. I concluded, "it was just too big of a meal for me, in the morning." Being the caring mother she is, she wouldn't allow me to go to school without eating anything for breakfast; so instead I resorted to having an apple. I remember my dad being the one to observe the difference in me, as we drove to school.  I was happy, talkative, awake, and not suffering from stomach pains.

Although this diet has it's challenges (especially when you have a baker in the family). I have embraced these challenges. I am thankful for finally figuring out the true plague of my suffering. I'm reluctant to have found the cause, of what has kept me from being all that I can be. Just the fact I can concentrate better....such a huge relief!!




No comments:

Post a Comment