Sunday, March 25, 2012

Shamrock Shuffle 8k 2012! My Results!

     Although I've been athletic most of my life, I will admit, running distances was never my cup of tea. Sprinting, yes, (that is what I did most in gymnastics), but distance NO.

I remember my first time running a mile, In 5th grade, my time was like 11 min. I couldn't run the whole thing. A couple of years ago, when I decided I was going to make myself like running, my time was 13 min.

This was my starting point. 13 mins.

    The competitive side of me decided one day, that I would be running races. I hated distance running. My new and extreme goal for myself was, I would to learn how to fix that. I was on my "fix what I don't like," mission.

     In one year's time, I went from walking 2-3 miles, to running 1-2 miles, 5 days a week, gradually working up the courage to run 5 miles a couple of times (can't remember my times, but I'm sure it was nothing impressive). The next year (last year), I was running, on average 3-4 miles, 3 days a week, while doing other cardio; such as ballet and Zumba. I increased my distance to 8 miles, toward the end of last years season, finishing the 8 mile run in 1:15 which is an average pace of 9:22. I also accomplished my PR for running a mile in 8:39. I am far from a record breaking runner, but every time I get out and do it, I get better.

So before I give you my results I must say this....

      I know it's the beginning of the season, and I shouldn't let it bother me, because it was for fun, but ending last years season with an 8:39 mile, and then running a 5 mile race in 52 min. is not good at all. It's a big disappointment. I did 3 more miles last year and had better time than that. I know I should have trained more (I definitely didn't train very much), and I know I shouldn't have picked up the shift at work, resulting in me arriving home at 1am (when we had to be out of the house by 7am that morning). There were some other factors as well, but most importantly, this is a starting point for this year.

       I know what to fix. I know I can do SO much better, and that is what I need to focus on going forward. Lesson learned, without proper training, sleep, and positive mindset; you will be garbage on race day.

      On the other hand, the people I went with did well, and I am happy for them! We are already planning a 10k. This time, I will make sure I am more prepared. Need to get started on those longer distance runs!


No comments:

Post a Comment