Saturday, March 10, 2012

One of my blessings went to heaven

Unfortunately on 3/4/3012, at about 9pm, I was informed my "Aunt Dolly," which was actually my great Aunt, had passed away. Her name was actually Stephanie, but because of her happy loving spirit, the name Dolly fit her better.

My Aunt Dolly was a very important person in my life. In fact, she was a very important person in many people's lives. I'm not referring to other family members, although that is very true as well, but other people.... that we don't even know. She was a sweet, generous, hospitable, fun, and a very loving person. Her smiling red lips and radiant personality, could never go unnoticed.

The one thing about my Aunt Dolly is, she never didn't have a smile on her face. She was always happy. There was no challenge she couldn't take on, or she didn't conquer. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and beat it. In the past year, she had two surgeries and survived, she suffered from osteoporosis, and lived with it for years. She lived to be 91 years old! That is a huge accomplishment! She was able to see 3 generations grow up.

I have some awesome memories with her. She used to always paint my nails when I was little, and make me paper doll families. One of my favorite things, that I absolutely LOVED doing was, walking around in her high heel shoes and wearing her clip on earrings. She would always pamper my sister  and I.

I just feel very blessed to have had such a wonderful role model, all these years. My Aunt Dolly was an incredible person! She took care of anyone and everyone, before herself. If you were sick, she cooked you her wonderful home cooked meals. She made everything from scratch, and it was always out of this world!! It is amazing to me, how God used this one person to touch so many lives, over the course of 91 years. She was making friends right up to the end.

Yesterday, when she was laid to rest, next to her husband (he passed in 1974), she was buried with her rosary and  Polish prayer book, as she requested. She prayed everyday, which is how I know she is in good hands now. Nonetheless, she will be greatly missed, but she is truly an inspiration to me. While I will never be close to as strong, brave, and slow to anger as she was...I will try a little harder, to adapt some of the characteristics she had, that I admired so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment